Saturday 29 October 2016

Moving too fast...

Ever have so much to do with yourself and in your life that you literally just sit back and hope that the time just miraculously slows down to accommodate it all?
Well I was at that point just a little over 5 minutes ago, and quite frankly since this new year in university started, I found myself always having so much to do and thinking the time just wouldn't be enough.
I knew very well the problem was with my time management in relation to the activities needing to be done, not that I was wasting my time on things of no value but I was focusing on all the urgent things that came up before I got to doing the important things and it was having a negative effect on my output which I knew very well was not good.

It took me taking a weekend off to actually examine what was going on. What was always making me feel like I had so much to do and always making me feel like the time just won't be enough.
I found out that somewhere stored up in my brain was usually a list of activities to get done each day and as I went through the day, when one item was taken off the list, something popped up from somewhere else.

While I assure you, it might be a good thing, it is also very dangerous to the way you end up spending your time like the effects it was having on me.

My advice is exactly as I did, I began to prioritise the activities that popped up in my head, because I figured that as they pop up, they appear like a stack, as it comes it stays, but you need to consciously arrange them in order of importance by actually sorting out which was important at a particular time and getting it done. It helps so much trust me.

For the first time in my life, while going through this phase, I got myself a diary where I documented plans for the day in advance of the day obviously making it flexible for any important urgent activities that might come up.
I take that diary everywhere I go and it's been of tremendous help. Some people keep an e-diary, some people who have even busier schedules and can afford too, hire a PA so that they can manage their time for the activities of the day.

Which ever works best for you, the secret is just to know what exactly is of highest importance at a particular time and to get it done. When that feeling of 'so much to do and so little time' comes up, Just relax, settle down and put your activities in order.

No comments:

Post a Comment